Stomach misbehaving ....

23 August 2005

The ferry to Sicily was uneventful and after disembarking I set off in entirely the wrong direction for the motorway, of course. There's a view from the ferry below:

View from Ferry


First stop Modica, near the south coast - the motorway is still under construction a lot of the way, and roads dwindle down until the last 20 miles or so of the drive to Modica is very deserted, very dusty. I could see why, after a while - passed a quarry where what looked like beautiful white marble was being excavated. It is easy to forget that I'm now almost as far south as northern Africa and it is hot, and dusty. I can hear crickets outside right now. There is plenty of green, lots of olive, fig and lemon trees, I believe there are carob trees, but don't know what they look like.

This is the Goddess's land as well, it just feels that way. Again, lots of roadside shrines to the Lady; Madonnas everywhere. I've passed more than one stream called Briga, interestingly. There are so many places I'd love to go to but don't think there will be time. Also, my stomach is complaining about something I've eaten, which is a bit worrying.
!-- Start post reversal code -->